Thursday, January 01, 2009

Montero: I Understand Gerrard


Legendary Juventus hard man Paolo Montero stands up for Steven Gerrard. “I used to get in fights with Fiorentina fans all the time!”

Liverpool hero Gerrard was charged with assault and affray following an alleged incident at a local nightclub that left a 34-year-old man in hospital with facial injuries.

“Sometimes I tell myself that I went over the top, but then I shake my own hand and think at least I never faked anything,” Montero told La Stampa newspaper.

“We are men too, exactly like everyone else. In that precise moment at night, you don’t feel like the number one player in the world. You are simply a man who doesn’t want to be provoked.”

The Uruguayan still holds the record for more red cards than any other player in Serie A history – 13 in nine years at Juventus – and assures he understands where Gerrard is coming from.

“It happened to me, of course. I was in Viareggio with my dear friend ‘Attila.’ Wherever we went, there were Fiorentina fans all around us. Imagine the scene, me a Juventus player surrounded by Viola supporters.

“The first time it was some swearing, the second a push and the third a punch.”

Montero is glad to see there is an heir to his throne at the heart of the Juventus defence, although one less likely to get sent off.

“I see myself in Chiellini. Giorgio is a tough guy, but more of a goalscorer than I was.”

No comments: