Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Martin Skrtel Happy to Stay At Liverpool And Fight For The Title


The Reds' Slovak defender has insisted that he's happy in England, and wants to help Liverpool to the title.

Martin Skrtel feels that Liverpool, despite their recent stuttering form that has seen them surrender their lead at the top of the table to Manchester United, still have all the ingredients in place to claim the Premier League crown.

The defender has also insisted that he is happy at Liverpool, despite rumours linking him with a return to Russian outfit Zenit St-Petersburg.

"The team has played nearly long enough as one and with one coach,” he told Sport Express.

"Beginners like me are rare there. However, in the past, Liverpool have sometimes been very good but, after the New Year, something has happened – injuries or some other problem.

"I think that this time everything will be different. We will fight for the title and win it.

"That is because of the fact that we play as a team, and because we have Gerrard and Torres. Last season was Fernando’s first in England, and he scored so many goals!!"

As for whether Reds skipper Steven Gerrard's recent arrest had affected the England midfielder, Skrtel asserted that it had not, and that the squad was focusing on football.

"No. Outwardly, at least, he has been quiet about it. It is not really discussed within the team," Skrtel added.

"A lot of things have been written on this subject, but we pay no attention."

As for a possible return to Russian football, Skrtel was fairly equivocal in ruling it out, claiming that he had never expressed dissatisfaction with life in Liverpool.

"I said that I have many friends at Zenit and that I was happy there, but that I'm now here, and I did not say I wanted to return," he explained.

"I never said that I hate Liverpool. That is a lie. He asked if I would say that I hated the city and I said, ‘Of course not’. I am happy here. Negative things are written about a lot of players here, mainly in the tabloids.”

"I have a contract for four years, but I like this team and would like to stay here for as long as possible and to win many trophies.

"I always wanted to play in England, but I never thought that I would come to a team as great as Liverpool. To go to Anfield is the dream of any player."

A key factor in his staying at Anfield would seem to be manager Rafa Benitez, with whom he draws a favourable comparison to his manager at Zenit, Dutchman Dick Advocaat.

"He loves football," the player continued. "He thinks about it 24 hours a day. When we leave, Rafa is still at the club, watching videos of our rivals’ games – in doing that, he reminds me of Dick.

"He is always wondering if we are happy and would like to do different things. In all aspects of the game, Rafa is open to suggestions and ideas. I like that."

No comments: