Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Liverpool's Torres Dedicates Goal To Gerrard


Fernando Torres made his long-awaited comeback from hamstring injury in Saturday's FA Cup third round tie with Preston North End, coming on as a second-half substitute and sealing a 2-0 win with a late goal.

Torres was grateful to Steven Gerrard for setting up his strike and dedicated the goal to his captain, currently under police investigation for his alleged part in a nightclub brawl last week.

"I was pleased to score for the team and for the fans because it guaranteed the result and took us into the next round," Torres told The Liverpool Echo.

"I might have scored the goal but it was created by Stevie and I would like to dedicate my goal to him. He is our captain and he is also a great guy and he has helped me ever since I came to the club and moved to this area.

"Everyone at Liverpool is behind him."

The striker hadn't featured for the Reds since the Champions League tie with Marseille back in November, and made his return after undergoing an intensive rehabilitation programme in recent weeks.

He also revealed that the backing of the Liverpool fans provided him with timely boosts to his morale as he worked to return to full fitness.

"I am very pleased to be back in the team," the Spaniard continued. "I have been very frustrated at not being able to play but the lads have been in great form and the results they have achieved have kept my spirits up.

"The relationship I have with the fans is special. I know that.

"When I was injured to hear them still singing their song was special. I could hear it on the TV when I was at home. It’s fantastic."

No comments: