Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Jermaine Pennant Joins Portsmouth On Loan And Vows To Save Tony Adams' Side


Jermaine Pennant has vowed to repay Tony Adams for offering him an escape from his Liverpool nightmare - by leading Portsmouth to survival.

Pennant, 26, last night agreed a loan move to Pompey until the end of the season after being made to feel like the forgotten man of Anfield.

The winger has made just two Premier League starts all season but has swapped a title challenge with Liverpool for a club just three points above the relegation zone.

Pennant said: "It is great to have signed, I love playing football.

"I have not played for so long you almost forget how great it is. Tony was very keen on me coming and it is important the manager wants you. He has worked very hard to get me here and that is why he succeeded.

"I just want to play the best I can, win games for Portsmouth and get them into the top half of the table."

Adams has monitored Pennant's career since he arrived at Arsenal as a 15-year-old in 1999 for a record £2million fee for a trainee. Since then Pennant has struggled with the trappings of fame, culminating in a 30-day stretch in prison in 2005 for a drink-driving conviction.

Adams, who visited Pennant during his time inside, said: "He has had a few different experiences through his career but haven't we all?

"He has grown a little bit wiser with age.

"He has appeared in a Champions League final - that is something I never achieved in my career."

No comments: