Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Benitez Chat Boosts Liverpool's Ryan Babel


Ryan Babel has struggled for first-team opportunities at Liverpool this season, with Spanish left-winger Albert Riera occupying the berth on the flank that the Dutchman could have expected to call his own this campaign.

There were rumours emanating from Anfield that Babel was unhappy with life on Merseyside and was thinking about seeking pastures new in an effort to find first-team football.

After a man-to-man talk with Reds' manager Rafael Benitez, the Holland international now feels much better and is ready to contribute fully to his club's Premier League title challenge.

"My career has had a lot of ups and a few downs until this point. But I am confident it will be okay," said Babel earlier. "When I was young I didn't get picked by Ajax after three trial games. After the third game, I thought I didn't want to play for them any more. But when I returned to my club I did well and eventually Ajax came back for me again. I took a lot of strength and belief from that."

Babel was also not letting his lack of starts in the Liverpool side affect his confidence, as he acknowledged that the whole squad must play their part and work hard to be ready when called upon by the manager.

"I'm always confident. I know I have potential," he explained, "It's up to me to work hard. Nothing good ever comes for free and I believe in my ability.

"But unfortunately only 11 players can start each week, and it's up to those who don't play as much to work even harder."

The wide player was also optimistic about his team's title chances, but knows that a lot of hard work still lay ahead of the Reds, who have not claimed an English league title since 1990.

"Somebody said recently that if the second half of the season goes the same way as the first, we'll be champions. Let's hope so," he added. "Right now we are top of the table and doing well. I want to do my bit for the team as we challenge for the title."

No comments: