Sunday, December 21, 2008

Xabi Alonso: My Kop Love Affair


Xabi Alonso has pledged that tomorrow he will show Arsenal what they missed - and repay Liverpool fans for the faith they have shown in him.

With his future uncertain at Anfield last summer, the Spaniard looked on his way to the Emirates as Liverpool pursued England star Gareth Barry.

But the reluctance of Arsenal, and also Juventus, to stump up Rafa Benitez's £16million asking price, coupled with Villa's refusal to let Barry leave, guaranteed Alonso a longer stay at Anfield.

And the midfielder is delighted he has been given a second chance.

With a string of five-star performances that have helped Liverpool to top the Premier League table behind him - there's talk now that Arsenal are ready to find the £16million Liverpool demanded - Alonso has arguably been Anfield's player of the season.

And Anfield, he vows, is where he is staying.

"I feel settled at Liverpool now," said Alonso, a member of Spain's triumphant Euro 2008 squad.

"Once it became clear I was staying, I was happy, and I have just concentrated on giving 100 per cent in every game since.

"I did not spend too much time thinking about Juventus and whether I might end up joining them, or the links with Arsenal. There is no point in that situation until something is actually done.

"I knew for a while after the Euros that there was some uncertainty over my future but I was really pleased nothing came of it and that I was able to continue my Liverpool career. I prefer not to think too much about how I was treated."

Alonso has a great affinity with the Anfield fans after they supported him so vociferously following the Barry affair.

"They couldn't have done more to tell me they wanted me to stay, and I really felt I wanted to go on and do something to pay them all back," he said. "You always want to be important wherever you are. I am very happy now and I am playing regularly. I don't have anything to complain about.

"I could see myself being here a lot of years.

"You have to be happy at the club and the club has to be happy with you. All I can say is that I'm really happy here. There are not many better clubs to play football for than Liverpool."

For Alonso, winning the title would be the perfect way to repay the fans for the incredible backing they gave him but the midfielder is too experienced to be making any wild predictions.

"It is still early in the title race," he said. "But to beat Arsenal would be important because it would show we have improved against the top teams."

Liverpool will again be without Fernando Torres, but Robbie Keane will be lead the line as Benitez chooses to dampen speculation about his future.

No comments: