Friday, December 05, 2008

Torres: I Nearly Joined Milan


Liverpool striking star Fernando Torres has revealed that he was close to joining Milan in 2007.

The Spanish international has been a big hit at Anfield and finished third in the voting for the Ballon d'Or this year.

A number of European sides were in the frame for Torres' signature when he left Atletico Madrid, including Milan.

“I know that Milan were interested in signing me and that the clubs had discussions, but I was never involved,” Torres said.

“When they were talking to the Rossoneri, Atletico never told me that they intended to sell me but I heard rumours. It's always nice when the big clubs are interested in you.”

Torres also looked back on last season's Champions League clash with Inter at San Siro in which he scored the winning goal.

“I was impressed by the atmosphere - I had never played in that stadium,” he explained.

“Everyone had talked to me about it, but playing there is something else. There's a very long tunnel at San Siro and it adds to the atmosphere.

“We were a bit fortunate in that tie in that Marco Materazzi was sent off in the first leg - it would have been harder to play against 11 men for the whole time.”

No comments: