Friday, December 19, 2008

Martin Skrtel Targets Boxing Day Return To Liverpool FC

MARTIN SKRTEL has refused to rule out the possibility of being involved in Liverpool’s Christmas programme next week.

The defender sustained cruciate ligament damage in the 3-2 win at Manchester City in early October and was initially set to be sidelined until the end of the year.

But Skrtel, who is back in full training after making good progress with his recovery, reckons a return to the squad for the Boxing Day clash with Bolton or trip to Newcastle United two days later is still in his sights.

“There is no date set for my comeback but I would be very glad to make it in this year,” said Skrtel.

“So far I have been through only two training sessions. We will see how I am doing after one or two weeks of training, then we can speak about my return.

“The knee is alright but I don’t have the fitness I had before I got injured. My strength has been good but speed and acceleration has been worse after almost three months of rehabilitation. That will return with time.

“A three-month break is rather long and I must try hard now to get back to action as soon as possible.”

Meanwhile, Pepe Reina insists Liverpool are capable of securing a first ever victory at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday.

“We don’t have that many great memories from our other visits to the Emirates,” Reina admitted.

“They have played very well, and we haven’t been in our best moment.

“This time I think it is different, because we are top of the table and I think it is easier to play when you are up there. We’ve never won there before, so maybe it’s the right time to do it.

“It is possible for us to win on any ground. But we have to respect them a lot and play to win, like we always do.

“We have already won at Stamford Bridge, which we’d not done, so we’re confident we can now go to the Emirates and win there too.”

The Gunners have slipped away in the title race after suffering five defeats including losses to Stoke, Hull and Fulham.

But Reina said: “They probably do save their best for the big teams.

“The way they play their football probably makes it easier for them to take on the top sides, because they allow them to play their brand of football.”

No comments: