Thursday, December 04, 2008

Liverpool Captain Steven Gerrard Flattens Lucas Leiva During Melwood Training Session


Steven Gerrard’s commitment to the Liverpool cause has never been in doubt, but he nearly added to the club’s injury list with a clattering tackle on Brazilian midfielder Lucas Leiva.

Just 24 hours after telling Telegraph Sport of his desperation to lift the Premier League trophy, the Liverpool captain certainly showed his team-mates how much he meant what he had said.

"I know I have had a decent career, and done well so far, but I still have so many ambitions. When I see Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs and John Terry lifting the Premier League trophy over their head, and I haven't got it, I want it bad.

“And when I get the title, I know what my reaction will be. Simple. I will want another title.''

The two players challenged for a 50-50 ball on a frost-covered pitch at Liverpool’s Melwood training ground, but Lucas fell heavily and clutched his shoulder in agony as manager Rafael Benitez and his medical team ran over to assist him.

Play was briefly halted as the Spanish manager helped Lucas walk to the treatment room.

The Premier league leaders can ill afford any more injuries. Striker Fernando Torres is sidelined for a fortnight with a hamstring strain and defender Martin Skrtel is working towards a return to fitness following the knee injury he suffered against Manchester City in early October.

Fabio Aurelio is also sidelined after picking up a calf muscle strain during his side’s Champions League 1-0 defeat of Marseille at Anfield last week.

No comments: