Saturday, December 13, 2008

I Could Never Turn Down My Big Chance - Liverpool FC Goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri

Diego Cavalieri may still be coming to terms with the language, but there are other elements of English culture he got used to in no time at all.

In a recent interview in Liverpool's matchday programme, the Brazilian goalkeeper admitted to rarely leaving the house without a waterproof coat and an umbrella due to the ever present threat of rain in his new home country.

Not that he is complaining though – that is clearly not in the nature of a laid back character who takes positives where others see negatives and who has become an instant hit with team-mates and staff at Melwood thanks to his naturally sunny disposition.
It's just as well he tends to look on the bright side of life though, particularly as his chances of becoming a regular in Liverpool's first team are being thwarted by a certain Pepe Reina, a keeper rated by many as one of the very best around.

Cavalieri knew this would be the case when he left Palmeiras behind for a new challenge abroad and despite having made just three appearances for the Reds so far he remains adamant that moving to Anfield as back up to the Spaniard was unquestionably the right decision.

"I knew when I came to Liverpool that it would be a really difficult job to compete with Pepe because he is one of the best goalkeepers in the world," said the 26-year-old.

"But for me it was an opportunity to sign for one of the biggest clubs in the world and I believe I will get chances here.

"I know my own capabilities and I know that if I work hard all the time then I will have a better chance of showing what I can do when I do get the opportunity to play."

One such chance arrived on Tuesday night when Rafa Benitez named a reshuffled starting XI for the Champions League clash with PSV Eindhoven and Cavalieri was given the nod in goal.

He didn't manage to keep what would have been his first clean sheet since joining the club but he certainly didn't do anything wrong either as he played his part in a commanding victory over the Dutch champions.

"It was a very important win for us because it meant that we finished first in the group," said Cavalieri.

"For me it was a very important moment because it was my first ever game in the Champions League and I really enjoyed it.

"I am very happy because it was a good night for the team and also a good night for me because I was part of it.

"I was happy with the way I played even though I was disappointed to concede a goal and now I just have to continue working hard in training every single day because it is perhaps more difficult for a keeper to come into the team without much match preparation than it is for outfield players."

Part of Cavalieri's preparation is to work on a daily basis alongside the man he is charged with ousting but that hasn't stopped him from forging a strong bond with Reina.

"I have an excellent relationship with Pepe," said Cavalieri. "He has helped me from the moment that I first came to the club.

"I knew about him before I signed because I had seen him play many times on television and it was clear that he was a very good keeper.

"But having worked with him I am now even more impressed because I have been able to see his qualities from closer up.

"So I am very happy to work alongside Pepe and with the other goalkeepers at the club."

Not having quality goalkeeping back up cost Liverpool dear last season with many commentators attributing their failure to progress in the FA Cup to the presence of Charles Itandje. The French keeper is still at Anfield having failed to complete a summer move to Galatasaray, his place as back-up to Reina now well and truly lost to Cavalieri.

That is one battle that the Brazilian has won but he knows shifting Reina from the Reds number one spot is another matter entirely.

"I know that Pepe is the manager's choice and I will always respect the manager's decision," said Cavalieri.

"All I can do is keep working hard all the time, try to get better and make the most of any minutes that I get on the pitch."

For the time being at least, Cavalieri is just happy to be part of a Liverpool squad which seems to be going places.

Top of the league in England and winners of their group in Europe, this is a season of rich promise at Anfield and there is a growing belief in the dressing room that the Reds can go on to build on the impressive start they have made to the campaign.

"I think that is true," said Cavalieri. "The players in the dressing room have a good feeling right now.

"We know that if we work as hard as we can then we will have a chance of achieving our aim at the end of the season which is to win trophies for Liverpool.

"We are doing well in the Premier League and also in the Champions League but there is still a long way to go in both competitions so now we must keep our focus and hopefully this will allow us to achieve our objectives."

He may be missing the sunshine of his native homeland but as far as Diego Cavalieri is concerned the future is looking bright at Anfield.

No comments: