Sunday, December 07, 2008

Gerrard - I Won't Be Selfish


Steven Gerrard has admitted to being 'selfish' in his desire to play in his favourite position.

The Liverpool skipper has complained in the past when moved away from the central role he has become accustomed to, saying his performances suffered as a result.

He admits he was wrong to be so stubborn but insists he is now happy to play anywhere to help the Reds in their quest for Premier League glory.

Rafa Benitez has asked Gerrard to play more defensively at times, while he has also had to switch out wide, but the 28-year-old maintains that he is only focused on the welfare of the team.

"I used to worry because I was selfish and wanted to be in my favoured position every game - like you do on the playground when you're a kid," Gerrard told the News of the World.

"But the game has changed. I have learned to understand I have a job to do for the team.

"You can't afford to be selfish. If I play out of position and we get a win I still get the same buzz.

"If the manager says to me I'm playing centre midfield or off the front man, there's no massive difference to me.

"But yes, I enjoy playing further forward, especially behind Fernando Torres.

"I'll play wherever the manager wants me to play and not worry about it."

Gerrard feels Benitez is one of the best bosses in the business and has saluted his man-management skills.

He said: "You have to take your hat off to him. He's one of the best managers there is.

"Rafa is the type that when you finish a game as man of the match having scored three goals, he won't even mention it. Instead, he'll mention that you never used your left foot at a certain point!

"But Rafa does it right. When I need a pat on the back I get it.

"I have had lots of 'well dones' from him, but when I need a kick up the backside I get it too."

No comments: