Monday, December 29, 2008

Danny Guthrie Quit Liverpool Due To Steven Gerrard's Brilliance

Steven Gerrard is among the best Premier League midfielders of this or any other campaign, according to former colleague Danny Guthrie.

And Magpies midfielder Guthrie has revealed that Gerrard's brilliance was the reason he decided his future lay away from Liverpool.

A £2.5million summer move to Newcastle followed the realisation that, with Gerrard commanding the engine-room, Guthrie was never going to be anything more than a bit-part player at Anfield.

Guthrie, 21, who made only a handful of first-team appearances for Liverpool, goes head-to-head with the England star today determined to show that he has become an accomplished Premier League star.

Guthrie said: "Steven Gerrard is the top man. He came through the youth system the same way I did.

"Liverpool are very strong in midfield and it's difficult to get a game for a young lad so I made the decision to move on and play games. When Newcastle came in I saw that as a great opportunity.

"It kills me not to play.

Even though Liverpool was my club I couldn't stay there playing 10 games a season and still playing in the reserves at 21.

"From my youth team not one single player is still there now.

That is how difficult it is to make it at Liverpool.

"I have no regrets.

I learned a lot from Steven Gerrard. I was only 18 when I went with the first team so it was a massive step up.

They've got top-class players all over the team and I learned my trade there.

"I think Stevie G is up there with Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira as the best ever Premier League midfielder.

He could be THE best, because he gets goals as well. For a midfielder to score as many goals as he does is incredible."

Guthrie, on target for Newcastle in Friday's defeat at Wigan, insists there was no rift with Reds boss Rafa Benitez.

He added: "Rafa said he thought it would be a good move for me because I wasn't going to play as much as I wanted at Liverpool.

He wished me all the best and he was great. I have total respect for him.

I took his advice, but I'd already made my decision.

"It's always disappointing when you've been at a club for years but every young player knows it might not work out. Going to Newcastle helped soften the blow."

Guthrie (below) believes a win over the title-chasing Reds would confirm their revival under Joe Kinnear.

But he believes dropped home points could come back to haunt his old club.

He said: "A good result against Liverpool will underline our improvement.

We've turned the corner in terms of putting some decent results together.

"I still think Liverpool can win the league. But they've let themselves down with dropped home points.

"After Christmas Manchester United and Chelsea will up the pace. I hope Liverpool can stay with them because this is the best chance they've had to win it for years."

No comments: