Saturday, November 01, 2008

Steven Gerrard: Liverpool Role Is So Special

To mark his fifth anniversary as Liverpool skipper, Steven Gerrard has given his personal account of what it takes to wear the armband in the recently released My Captain's Book. Here, in exclusive extracts from the book, Gerrard tells of the highs, the lows and his ambitions for the future in a revealing insight into Liverpool's inspirational leader.

FIVE years ago this month, Steven Gerrard fulfilled a boyhood dream when he was made captain of the club he had supported all his life.

Following in the footsteps of Liverpool legends like Graeme Souness, Alan Hansen and Emlyn Hughes meant the captain's armband could have weighed heavy on a player who had only turned 23 less than five months earlier.

But through a combination of individual brilliance on the pitch and a growing awareness of what being a skipper is all about, Gerrard has gone on to make the captain's role his own.

In "My Captain's Book", the 28-year-old reveals just what it means to him to be Liverpool's leader on the pitch, why he regards it as one of the ultimate honours of his glittering career and his ambitions for the future.

"It's amazing to think that five years have passed since I was handed the full-time job of being Liverpool captain," writes Gerrard.

"I've been lucky in the time that I've been captain of Liverpool because we've enjoyed some real success – we've been to two Champions League finals and an FA Cup final, winning two out of three.

"I've enjoyed those successes as much as anyone – player or fan. But we want more, we want a hell of a lot more.

"I'd say I've learned more from being a captain when things haven't gone too well. You learn more in football from bad experiences really.

"Obviously, I've had some tremendous highs as captain with the trophies I've lifted.

"Every time we win a football match and I'm wearing that armband, the feeling and the buzz is unbelievable.

"And when you lead the team out . . .

"These are special feelings that I can only really describe because I've experienced them.

"But going out of competitions, bad defeats, losing in cup finals or falling short in the league, you remember and learn from all of that too.

"I think, as captain, I feel more responsible, particularly when we get beaten.

"I'm sure I can speak for Jamie Carragher here too. When we get on that bus after a defeat we know there are hundreds of thousands of people who are disappointed and upset that Liverpool lost.

"But I'd argue to death that there aren't two people who feel it more than me and Jamie.

"I suppose it's because we are captain and vice-captain that we feel this extra responsibility.

"We're out there and it's in our hands with the rest of the squad – but we are the leaders in the pack."

Gerrard's inspirational leadership is one of the main reasons why Liverpool fans are able to look back so fondly on the magical events that took place in Istanbul in 2005 and in Cardiff a year later.

On those never to be forgotten occasions, the Huyton-born midfielder helped drag his team back from the dead as the Reds faced almost certain defeat against AC Milan and then against West Ham United.

A fifth European Cup and a seventh FA Cup are testimony to what Gerrard and his Anfield team-mates achieved on those glorious days, but he insists he will not even begin to be satisfied until the League Championship trophy is back in its rightful home.

"I've still got big ambitions as captain of Liverpool Football Club," writes Gerrard.

"There's a lot I still have to learn and a lot I want to achieve – it's far from over.

"I was wearing the yellow Champions League armband when we won in Istanbul.

"Winning the Champions League has to be the biggest thing that has happened to me in football so far.

"To lift the title wearing the Premier League captain's armband would have to be up there with Istanbul without a shadow of a doubt.

"I'm confident it's going to come – we might have to be patient but I've got confidence it will happen.

"I grew up watching Liverpool teams, great teams with great players, winning title after title and you just expect that dynasty to continue.

"It's been too long away from Anfield and we're determined to start another legacy here in our time.

"We feel we've got the players here to do that."

No comments: