Monday, November 10, 2008

Robbie Keane: I Never Doubted Myself


The Liverpool striker has revealed he was never worried despite taking 12 games to open his Premier League account for his new club.

The £20 million striker grabbed his first league goals for Liverpool in their 3-0 victory over West Bromwich Albion yesterday.

However, according to football365.com, Keane claims he always knew the goals would come.

“The manager always had confidence in me, and I always knew the goals would come,” said the former Spurs man, “It has taken me longer than I had hoped, but with every game I am getting more confident. The evidence was there for everyone to see.”

Keane was denied a hat-trick after being substituted in the second half but admitted being taken off had not been a problem.

“I was looking for the hat-trick, but it is not about me. I'd got two goals and would always like more, but seeing the board go up with my number was not an issue for me,” said the striker, “People are trying to make a big deal out of it, which is not the case. Things like that do not matter - because this is a team.”

The result propelled Liverpool back to the summit of the Premier League and Keane claims that the win was most important that his goals. He said: “The most important thing was that we keep winning, and that I am part of that winning side.”

Despite scoring two goals yesterday, Keane was quick to pay tribute to his team mates, whom he praised for their excellent service, in particular skipper Steven Gerrard.

“I am getting great service. I have Stevie, Xabi (Alonso) and (Javier) Mascherano behind me - and they can all see a pass for me,” admitted Keane.

He continued, “Stevie's pass was excellent. But over the years he has been fantastic, and it is something I have noticed. Now I am on the end of those passes, which is fantastic for me.”

After netting his first league goals for his new side Keane appears confident the goals will continue to flow. He concluded: “My aim is to keep doing my job, and I know the goals will happen.”

No comments: