Friday, November 21, 2008

Liverpool’s Skrtel Warning To Agger & Hyypia

Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel is keen to make his comeback before Christmas, but is aware that he will have to fight to make his way back in Rafa Benitez’s side.

The Slovakian international is on the sidelines following a cruciate knee ligament injury during the 3-2 win over Manchester City on October 5. And since then, the Reds defence has been well served by Daniel Agger and occasionally by veteran Sami Hyypia.

However, Skrtel, who moved to Anfield from Zenit St Petersburg in January, is desperate to play his part for the Merseysiders as they continue to go strong in the title race where they are joint-leaders along with Chelsea, and says he can’t wait to start full training.

“I don’t know exactly the date, but the predictions were for before Christmas and I am hoping it is as soon as possible,” he said in the Daily Post.

“It has been a long time. I can’t wait to start kicking a ball again and resume full training.”

Before the injury, the 23-year-old had established himself as the regular partner for centre-back Jamie Carragher, but he will now have to come back and fight with Denmark international Agger and Finnish star Hyypia for place.

He said: “Daniel and Sami are excellent players and they are playing well.

“It will be difficult to get back into the team but I am working hard and I will do my best to impress the coach and fight for my place back.

“I am sad that I am not currently part of the team, but I am happy that we are winning and at the end of the day it is the goal of all of us to win matches.

“Being at the top of the Premier League gives us a lot of confidence. We are trying to win every game and hopefully our form can continue for as long as possible.

“Of course I would like to win some silverware, but it’s still early and there is a long time to go until the end of the season.”

No comments: