Monday, November 03, 2008

Liverpool Must Sort Out Contracts Or Lose Rafa Benitez

Rafa Benitez fears history could repeat itself if Liverpool's owners fail to secure his future.

The Reds are facing the prospect of losing a man who stands just third behind Kenny Dalglish and Bob Paisley in an exclusive Sunday Mirror-PowerTable analysis of Anfield's managerial greats.

But unless American pair Tom Hicks and George Gillett deliver the new contract that Benitez craves after claiming to have healed the boardroom rift that tore the club apart last season, then the Spaniard could feel forced into making the kind of heartbreaking decision that saw him quit Valencia for Liverpool in the summer of 2004.

Just weeks after leading Valencia to a second La Liga title and the UEFA Cup, Benitez walked out on the final year of his Mestalla contract after becoming disillusioned by a string of broken promises.

He said: "I left Valencia because there were problems with my contract and other situations that meant I decided to leave.

"It wasn't my idea to leave because I had a list of names in place that would have improved the team. I believe Valencia would have gone on to win more trophies."

Benitez's patience had been tested the previous summer when the Spanish club refused to take up agreements he had secured to sign the then-unknown quartet of Cristiano Ronaldo, Didier Drogba, Florent Malouda and Ricardo Quaresma.

He finally walked away after leading Valencia to the finest hour in their history because they had failed to keep promises about a new deal.

Benitez's fate has turned full circle, with Liverpool's American owners yet to make contact about extending a contract that now has just 18 months to run.

"I spoke with George Gillett in London last week, but there was nothing about a new contract," Benitez revealed.

"That is OK because I want to concentrate on football.

But if the owners ask to talk about a new contract that would be good also.

"If not, I will continue to do my job for as long as I can and then we will see. I really want to stay at Liverpool and hopefully in the future the squad will be even better.

"I would like to be here a long time, so I am waiting. After improving the squad for the last five years I know we are very, very close to having a fantastic team and I want to be part of their future.

"I am also sure that this Liverpool team, with the staff I have also, will get better every year.

"The contract situation does not put me under more pressure to win either the title or the Champions League because in my mind I am just thinking about winning every game.

"I think we are close to having the team I want, but if I start thinking, 'We have to win this trophy' it is possible to lose focus."

It's ironic that Benitez will face his one-time Valencia nemesis Jesus Garcia Pitarch this week. Pitarch, the sporting director who was blamed for Benitez's departure four years ago, now holds the same position with Atletico Madrid, who arrive at Anfield on Tuesday.

During the week, Gillett (left) claimed his relationship with Hicks has improved. And Benitez said: "I have heard that the relationship between Liverpool's owners is better and that's good for the club.

"It is the same with me and Pitarch. We had our problems but they are solved."

No comments: