Saturday, November 22, 2008

Gerrard Wants New Deal As Benitez Tips Him For Anfield Role

LIVERPOOL captain Steven Gerrard has told the club he wants to sign a new contract when his current deal ends and intends stay at Anfield for the rest of his career.

Gerrard made the announcement as he approaches the 10-year anniversary of his Liverpool debut next week.

Currently injured with a groin muscle tear and out of today's home league match with Fulham, Gerrard's comments came on the same day manager Rafael Benitez tipped the 28-year-old as the man who could one day replace him as manager.

Gerrard is back in training and battling to be fit for Wednesday's Champions League home clash with Marseille but his clear indication that he never wants to leave Anfield will delight the club's fans.

"I do not know what is going to happen over the next ten years but certainly for the next five or six I hope I am playing in Liverpool's first team," he said. "I have two and a half years left on my contract and hopefully I will sign another one and stay for the remainder of my career.

"We will have to wait and see about management but I certainly want to get my qualifications to enable me to coach and manage."

He added: "Whether I will be interested in the Gary Ablett (reserve coach] type role, the Sammy Lee (assistant manager] role or the Rafa Benitez role, I do not know. I just want to get all my badges and then we will see.

"But I have a lot more football to play before we get to that stage and that is what I want to focus on at the moment. All I can say at this stage is the last 10 years have been the best of my life. I have lived the dream doing something I have always wanted to do and if my working life carries on being with Liverpool then I will be very happy."

Benitez said: "Maybe he will be here for another 10 years, certainly five or six. I am really pleased to have kept Gerrard here, and maybe he will one day be the manager to replace me.

"There are more important things than money in Steven's mind. He has great passion for the club, he loves the club and the city. That is the key as far as he is concerned, and hopefully he will take over from me."

Gerrard was forced to drive to Watford last Sunday to join the England squad and have his injury assessed by coach Fabio Capello's medical experts, to the annoyance of Liverpool.

Benitez noted tersely: "There's no problem between me and Fabio Capello, I am not unhappy with him. But the best news now is that there are no internationals until March."

No comments: