Saturday, November 08, 2008

Benitez Planning Long-Term Future


Rafael Benitez has made it clear he is anxious for an early resolution to contract negotiations he hopes will secure his long-term future as Liverpool manager.

The Spaniard's next challenge comes against West Brom at Anfield on Saturday - when Fernando Torres will be restored to the Reds front line - but there are matters to be addressed off the pitch too, as Benitez plots Liverpool's bid for the Barclays Premier League title.

Torres' return is timely, after Liverpool lost their unbeaten league record to Tottenham last weekend. But sorting out Benitez's own future will also go a long way to boosting confidence.

"I want the contract done quickly, because the team is playing well," said Benitez.

"I do not want to be talking about this for weeks and months.

"The team is very strong - you can see the progress. There is a new stadium soon, and I want to be part of the future of Liverpool.

"The length of the contract is important to me. We have been improving the squad for five years - so clearly we know that in the future we can be contenders and we can win more trophies."

When a potential five-year contract was suggested, Benitez said: "That would be very good.

"We will have to see, but I would like to be here for a very long time.

"We must do it quickly. Next week there will be meetings, and I hope it can be sorted soon - certainly not too long.

"I do not want to keep talking about my contract. It is not good for the team and it is not good for the club. We are in a good position that could be good for the future.

"I would like to see it signed before the end of the month. The owners have to talk to my agent about the conditions of the deal, but clearly the length of the contract is crucial.

"Stability is the key to winning trophies and being contenders for the title."

Benitez also wants stability in his strike force, aided by Torres' return and a likely pairing again with Robbie Keane - who is still struggling for goals.

Benitez said: "When Torres was playing alongside Robbie before the injury, it was beginning to work well. I would like to see that partnership again.

"Robbie has been working so hard, and maybe the goals have not been coming.

"I talked to him yesterday; I said we were happy with him, and we know he is having to do things that are difficult for him. But it will be easier for him to play alongside Torres.

"If we have Torres fit, we will score a lot of goals - like last season.

"I have a lot of confidence in our strikers - Dirk Kuyt and Keane have been working so hard while Torres has been injured. But I will now have them all back at a very critical time for us."

No comments: