Sunday, November 16, 2008

Babel Airs Anfield Frustrations


Liverpool forward Ryan Babel has admitted his frustrations at a lack of opportunities at Anfield.

The Dutchman has earned a 'super sub' reputation on Merseyside due to his consistent match-winning impact from the bench since an £11.5million move from Ajax in 2007.

Babel helped Liverpool edge out Arsenal in a thrilling UEFA Champions League quarter-final last season and scored the Premier League winner against Manchester United in September after entering both games from the sidelines.

But the 21-year-old, who is usually deployed on the wings by manager Rafa Benitez, confesses that he is unhappy with a deficiency in first-team starts.

"I'm satisfied with my level of performance but the situation is clear - that I'm not going to be one of the regular 11 starters," Babel said in The Guardian.

"It's difficult. I do get frustrated. I can tell myself that I'm still only 21 and at the start of my career.

"But it is making it hard for me because, as time goes on, they keep telling me that I'm young and that my time will come. Well, OK, but I'm not a player who wants to wait. I want to be involved now rather than in three or four years' time."

Babel has also stated that he would rather compete with strikers Robbie Keane and Fernando Torres than be deployed in a wide role.

"I have always said that I want to play as a striker," he added.

"Of course, it would not help me improve if I wasn't able to play, or train, in another position a couple of times. But all the time?

"I used to play as a striker in Holland. I grew up as a striker. That's the position I want to play.

"But I'm working on it. I look at myself before I blame others. I'm going to do something about it. It's not something I'm scared about."

No comments: