Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Alonso: Euro Success Inspired Me

Xabi Alonso claims victory in Euro 2008 made him and his fellow Spaniards even hungrier for club success.

The 26-year-old was one of four Liverpool players in the squad as Spain won their first trophy since 1964.

Now back on Merseyside, Alonso insists that he, Fernando Torres, Alvaro Arbeloa and Pepe Reina have no intention of resting on their laurels.

The midfielder told the official LFC Magazine: "I have taken a lot of confidence from our success with Spain in the summer. I might not have started the games because the coach had a pre-defined team in his mind and it worked really well.

"But I was an important substitute and I felt I was able to play my own part in that success. I helped close games out and made some contributions.

"Winning becomes a habit. I never understand the idea that winning trophies can somehow make players less hungry.

"I want more. I listen to Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher talking and they have won more things than I have won. They say it makes them hungrier for more and I am the same.

"I came home and put away my medal in the drawer alongside the FA Cup and Champions League ones, then started thinking immediately about winning trophies and medals with Liverpool."

Alonso notched up three substitute appearances during Euro 2008 and captained Spain in their final group game against Greece.

His form since returning to Anfield has had the Kop purring.

He added: "Personally, I am happy with my present form. But I can improve and that's my focus.

"I am a midfielder. I prefer to be thought of not as a defensive midfielder but as a central midfielder. That means I should be trying to get into more scoring positions and influencing the game higher up the pitch when the chance presents itself.

"You can always improve in football. You can never believe that you can't because pretty soon you will find yourself out of the team."

No comments: