Friday, October 10, 2008

Torres Warns: I'm Getting Close To Top Form


Liverpool’s Spain striker, Fernando Torres, has issued a warning to the rest of the Premier League that he is getting back to his best form.

Fernando Torres, who scored 33 goals in all competitions in his first campaign as a Liverpool player, began the current season fairly quietly by comparison with one goal in the Reds’ first five Premier League games.

But the 24-year-old former Atletico Madrid star has followed that with two goals in each of his last games - at Everton and Manchester City.

That showed he was resuming normal service, and he says there is more to come.

Torres feels that there was a reaction to playing for his country at Euro 2008, which he helped Spain win by scoring the only goal in the final against Germany.

"Me and the other players from the Euros started back in pre-season later than everyone else, and as a result weren't in the best physical shape," said Torres.

"Last year was very long for me. I played nearly 50 games with Liverpool and then went straight to the Euros. But I'm getting better each day and I'll soon be 100 per cent again."

And he is determined to build on the triumph he shared with Spain by helping Liverpool to win a trophy or two this season.

Torres explained: "It [the European Championship] was a great experience and the first big honour I've won. Now I know how it feels to win something like that, it makes me even hungrier to win trophies with Liverpool.

"I came here for that reason and hope this season will be better than last year.

"I believe we can win the Premier League or the Champions League. If we did that, it would be fantastic. We have started well, so there is optimism.

"But I'd be happy with just 20 goals if we won the Premier League or Champions League."

No comments: