Thursday, October 02, 2008

Redknapp Rubbishes Pennant Talk

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp has rubbished speculation he is considering a January move for Liverpool winger Jermaine Pennant.

The former Birmingham star has struggled to make an impact at Anfield since arriving in a £6.7million deal in 2006 and he has fallen out of favor this season.

Pennant made a late substitute appearance in last weekend's Merseyside derby victory over Everton, but prior to that his only outing this term was in the Carling Cup against Crewe earlier in September.

A lack of first-team football has seen Pennant linked with pastures new and Portsmouth have been rumoured to be keeping tabs on the 25-year-old.

But Redknapp insists that he has not yet considered transfer targets, telling The News: "I like Pennant. He's a good player, a great crosser of the ball and he's definitely got quality.

"But I can't say I have thought about signing him. In fact, I have not thought about anybody really, to be honest.

"The transfer window has just closed and the next one isn't open until January, other signings are not really in my thoughts this early.

"As far as I'm concerned, I have got my squad here, players I'm happy with.

"I just need to get on with it now. It's like any transfer, I'll see how we are going closer to the time and if we need something.

"You never know, you may get an injury in a certain position, something might need freshening up.

"I've got to see if everything is going okay. If everybody is doing well it's not a problem and I won't need to bring in anyone at all.

"But at the moment I'm not even thinking about that."

No comments: