Sunday, October 12, 2008

Fernando Torres Speaks Of Delight At Awards Nomination

FERNANDO TORRES has declared his delight at being named among the favourites to win this year's European footballer of the year award – admitting he never thought it would happen.

Liverpool’s Spanish striker is among several of the world's best players up for the award, including Barcelona's Lionel Messi and Manchester United’s Cristiano Ronaldo.

But Torres insists he thought the Ballon d'Or was for players “from another galaxy” and that winning the title would be like “climbing to the top of Everest and touching the sky”.

He said: “When I have watched the Ballon d'Or presentation on television I saw the likes of Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldinho and Kaka.

“I told myself that trophy was for players from another galaxy - now I am among the candidates, and I cannot believe it.

“Winning the award would be like climbing to the top of Everest and touching the sky.”

After scoring 33 goals in his debut season at Anfield, Torres said his form has been down to how well he has settled.

He added: “I am at ease in England. I wanted to play there so strongly, to discover the Premier League.

“At Liverpool I have started a second life. It is great.”

Torres also strengthened his claims with the starring role he played as Spain won Euro 2008, scoring the winning goal in the final against Germany.

No comments: