Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Agger Denies Rafa Rift


Liverpool defender Daniel Agger has moved to quell speculation that he and his manager Rafa Benitez have fallen-out.

Agger has struggled to break back into the Liverpool first-team after nearly a year out through a metatarsal problem.

During his absence, Rafa Benitez signed Martin Skrtel as a replacement and the form of the Slovakian has seen Agger relegated to the bench this season, unable to force his way into the team.

Agger has started only two matches for Liverpool this season, once in the Champions League qualifying round against Standard Liege and another appearance in the Carling Cup versus Crewe.

Benitez was reportedly unhappy with Liverpool's performance in the Standard Liege game, but Agger has denied that a row broke out between he and his manager.

He told TV3 in his native Denmark: "Of course there are things that Benitez was not satisfied with after Liege.

"We didn't play a good match, but it is a big lie to say we had an argument. I certainly hope it is only football reasons why I am not playing.

"I have no problem in this club. He has just said that the team is playing very well, and that is why I am not playing."

Agger also denied that he is looking to exit the Anfield club, and stated that he is prepared to work hard to return to the first team.

He continued: "I want to stay here and fight for my place in the squad.

"I'm not satisfied with the fact that I'm not playing but I have to cope and accept it.

"I'm happy at Liverpool."

No comments: