Sunday, September 21, 2008

Slow Starter Keane Given Double Boost To Confidence

MISFIRING striker Robbie Keane has been given a double vote of confidence that he’ll soon be hitting the goals trail – by both strike partner Fernando Torres and manager Rafael Benitez.

Despite netting for the Republic of Ireland against Norway last month, Keane, who will be hoping to open his account this afternoon against a Stoke side who have conceded 12 goals in five games this season, has so far failed to find the goals to justify his £20million price tag since arriving at Anfield.

Now 11 games including friendlies into his fledgling career on Merseyside, Keane has still to hit the mark in a Liverpool jersey and was axed from the starting line-up by Benitez for Tuesday, only coming on four the final four minutes of the 2-1 win over Marseille in the Champions League.

However, with the player a notoriously slow starter to campaigns – he broke his duck on the corresponding weekend for Tottenham against Bolton last season before going on to net 23 times for the Londoners – Keane has been backed to start finding the net soon by striker partner Fernando Torres.

Torres, who bagged 33 goals in his debut season at Anfield, said: “I know Robbie is going to be a very important player for us.

“Once he scores his first goal, he will go on to score a lot more, because that is the sort of player he is.

“You want to score straight away to relieve the pressure when you join a new club.

“But I know Robbie from watching him when I was with Atletico, and I know we will need players like him if we want to win trophies.”

The player himself seems unconcerned by his continuing goal drought and even had to reassure his manager that he was feeling fine.

Benitez revealed: “I talked with him two weeks ago and said don’t be anxious and he said: ‘Listen, you are more worried than me!’ It was okay.”

The Spaniard believes that Keane’s barren streak is similar to similar runs for Peter Crouch and Dirk Kuyt under his stewardship but he does not feel it is a major problem.

He said: “I am really pleased with Robbie. He is doing a very good job.

“The other day Robbie and Kuyt were doing really well against United.

“It is just that we have the same situation now that we had with Crouch – people talking about when he will score.

“I am sure that as soon as he scores the first goal, you will see a lot of them.”

Benitez added: “I have spoken to him during the training sessions when we talk about movement but he has experience and he is clever.

“I said try to play well. I will be really pleased if you play well and we continue winning.

“It doesn’t matter if you score or not. It would be better for everyone, but if you don't score and we win then that is good.”

And Keane himself has insisted he is not worried about his failure to find the net.

He said: “Obviously I realise I have not scored yet and that is something that I want to do, but it is also not something I am too worried about.

“If I was a young lad and a bit naive, then I would probably be really worried about it, but as long as the team is winning and I keep working hard, then that is all I can do.

“I know I will get my reward for all the hard work I have put in. I think my first goal is just around the corner. Hopefully when that does come, many more will follow.”

Keane believes the continued support of the Anfield crowd will help him along.

He said: “The crowd have been brilliant to me since I came here. It has been everything I expected, what with being a Liverpool fan already. They are always the 12th man behind the ball and were roaring us on against Manchester United last week.

“They have really been great to me, and I can feel everyone pushing me on to get my first goal and hopefully that will be sooner rather than later.”

No comments: