Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Scouse Ace Eyeing Regular Position

Steven Irwin is hoping to finally nail down a regular position after making the permanent move to Melwood in the summer.

The 17-year-old has played in every single position during his rise through the Liverpool ranks – even in goal.

Last season brought more stability as he split his time between just two areas: right-back and central midfield.

Now the proud Liverpudlian is waiting to see what new boss Gary Ablett has planned for 2008-09.

Irwin, a former captain of the under-18s, told Liverpoolfc.tv: "It can work both ways. If the manager has a few injuries and he needs me to fill in somewhere, then I am capable of doing that. That's a good point.

"But obviously you want to nail down a proper position and make it your place in the team. If you play there week in, week out you are going to improve in that position.

"I think I am settling down in midfield and right-back now – I'm not being moved about too much. I would say central midfield is my best position, just over right-back. But I'm happy to see what happens in the coming months.

"I've played in every single position during my time at Liverpool. I actually played in goal two years ago when we played Wolves. The 'keeper got injured after 10 minutes. I had loads of saves to make so I'll be pushing Pepe Reina soon! But no, even that was an enjoyable experience."

No comments: