Friday, September 05, 2008

Rafa Liked My Aggressive Style And Wanted Me To Intimidate Rivals And Team-Mates, Says Carragher


Jamie Carragher has revealed how Rafa Benitez wanted the aggressive defender to be his enforcer both on and off the pitch.

Shortly after taking over at Liverpool, Benitez handed the centre-half a DVDs of Arrigo Sacchi's legendary AC Milan side of the 1980s and asked him to analyse Franco Baresi's movements and organisation of the defence.

The Spaniard also wanted Carragher to inject some toughness into his team-mates - by any means necessary.

After a defeat at Birmingham, Benitez pulled Carragher in after training and told him a story from his Valencia days.

'When members of the squad didn't show the right attitude in the match, the Argentinian players would start a fight in the showers with the team-mates who weren't doing their job,' he said. 'I looked at the manager to make sure it wasn't a joke and could see a glint in his eye. "He's dropping me a hint here" I thought.

"I don't think that's me," I said politely, informing Rafa that verbal rather than physical tormenting of underperforming colleagues was more my scene.

'But it was comforting to know he trusted me enough to give me his blessing to take a swing at some of the players he didn't like.'

In his new autobiography, serialised in The Mirror, Carragher says Benitez's defensive wisdom impressed him most.

'It was a step up from what I'd enjoyed before. Gerard Houllier guided me towards becoming a top-class Premier League player, but Benitez has been the greatest overall influence on Jamie Carragher the defender.

'He's brought the best out of me, transformed me into a centre-half of European pedigree. I've played the finest football of my career under Rafa. Every training session has included advice on how I can improve my game.'

No comments: