Saturday, September 20, 2008

Keane - The Goals Will Come


Liverpool striker Robbie Keane insists he is too experienced to become anxious about his Anfield goal drought.

The Republic of Ireland international joined the Reds in July in a £20million move from Tottenham, but he has yet to find the back of the net for his new employers.

Keane has now gone seven games without breaking his Liverpool duck, and he also scored just once in his final eight games for Spurs.

However, the 28-year-old is confident he will soon rediscover the goalscoring touch and is hopeful he will net when Stoke visit Merseyside on Saturday.

"Obviously I realise I have not scored yet and that is something that I want to do, but it is also not something I am too worried about," said Keane.

"If I was a young lad and a bit naive, then I would probably be really worried about it, but as long as the team is winning and I keep working hard, then that is all I can do.

"I know I will get my reward for all the hard work I have put in. I think my first goal is just around the corner. Hopefully when that does come, many more will follow."

Manager Rafa Benitez is also eager for Keane to open his Liverpool account at the weekend, but has hinted that the forward is not guaranteed a place in his first XI.

Keane started among the substitutes in the mid-week UEFA Champions League victory over Marseille and Benitez is keeping his cards close to his chest ahead of the arrival of Stoke.

Benitez said: "We want Robbie to score soon, yes. And if he is selected against Stoke, maybe that will be the time.

"But I am not concerned about this, his effort and work for the team is outstanding."

No comments: