Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Holland Coach Ready To Keep Unhappy Kuyt On The Bench, Admits Van Marwijk


Holland coach Bert van Marwijk has played down reports of a rift with Dirk Kuyt after the Liverpool forward voiced his dissatisfaction at being relegated to the bench.

Speaking to Sportweek magazine ahead of Holland's World Cup qualifier against FYR Macedonia on Wednesday, Kuyt lamented the decision of Van Marwijk to leave him on the bench for Saturday's friendly against Australia, branding it "unacceptable".

'I have to be on the team,' said Kuyt.

'I just want to play and think that I should play. I'm going to make sure I'm going to play.

'I will not be resigned to my fate, and will never accept my role as 12th man. Being a substitute is unacceptable to me."

But Van Marwijk was unfazed by the 28-year-old's outburst, and insisted Kuyt was not directing any criticism in his direction.

'Those words are really aimed at himself," Van Marwijk told Voetbal International.

'Dirk just looks in the mirror and wants to get more out of his career. He demands a starting place from himself, not from me. That only means that he is a good sportsman.

'Not a single coach benefits from reserves who think it's fine to sit on the bench. Every player must have the ambition to win a starting place.

'As coach, you can only be happy about that kind of player.

'Van Marwijk also agreed with Kuyt's assertion that the quality of football at international level "is not as high" as that found at club level.

'Dirk is of course completely right that the level of training at top European teams is higher,' Van Marwijk conceded.

'But that is logical, isn't it?

'The club team consists of only internationals, and they come together on the training pitch each day.

'That is a luxury you don't have with the national team, so it is normal that the level is lower."

No comments: