Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fabio Relishing Left Back Fight

Fabio Aurelio today insisted he's relishing the challenge of competing with summer signing Andrea Dossena for a place in Rafael Benitez's first team.

The Brazilian full-back is fit again after recovering from a series of injury set-backs and is now hoping to get the nod on the left side of defence for this weekend's clash with Manchester United at Anfield.

But with new arrival Dossena also staking his claim for the left back berth, Aurelio knows the competition for places at Anfield is stronger than ever.

"Always when you are in a big club like Liverpool you have to fight for your place in the team, so having Dossena here now is the same as when John Arne Riise was with us last season," he told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"It is very good for the team because everyone has to push that extra bit harder to get their place. I want to stay fit and help this team improve.

"Andrea hasn’t been here that long so it has only been a short time to get to know him, but he has a strong character and is a very good professional. Always before Rafa signs someone he likes to know about their character.

"I am at a great club and playing with good players here always helps you to improve your level. I will keep my fingers crossed that I don't get any more injuries because I think I can do great things for this club."

No comments: