Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Benitez Wants New Deal For Agger


The Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has revealed that he wants to offer Daniel Agger a new contract at Anfield. The Danish central defender hasn't featured in the first team since a disappointing performance in the first leg of the Champions League qualifier against Standard Liège and there had been reports that the 23-year-old was unhappy at being frozen out.

Benitez has now spoken out and revealed that the defender is very much part of his plans. "I have been talking to Daniel and he is ready, focused and really happy here," said Benitez. "I was on the flight to Marseille and I was thinking about we need to offer him a new contract. I was surprised when we landed and read some comments in the press.

"I spoke to him and he said, 'no problem, I am really happy here'. I am really pleased with him and I have a lot of confidence in him. He knows that we are playing well, that Jamie Carragher and Martin Skrtel are playing well and that maybe he needs to wait. The understanding between Carra and Skrtel has been good.

"I said that Daniel is one of the best centre-backs we have when he is fit and if he is fit it will be difficult for me. He needs games. He is a very good offensive centre-back when we are playing at Anfield. Clearly we missed Daniel last season. He is a centre-back but good on the ball and a threat for the other team too."

No comments: