Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Babel Aiming To Propel Liverpool’s Title Challenge After Scoring Winner Against Man United

Ryan Babel is aiming to propel Liverpool’s title charge after having helped the Reds beat defending champions Manchester United at Anfield on Saturday.

The Dutch international forward came off the bench to score the winner in the 77th minute of the 2-1 triumph for Rafa Benitez’s side.

The 20-year-old is now hoping to score more important goals as the Merseysiders are looking to end their 18-year wait for the top-flight title.

"This is a new season and we want to get off to a good start so this is an important goal for me and the team," Babel told the Liverpool Echo.

"Hopefully I can score more important goals because there are a lot of games still to play and a lot of points to play for.

"But it's always nice to score a goal against a big opponent, especially Manchester United.

"We want to be able to compete until the end of the season and you have a better chance of doing that if you win games like this."

Babel, who is used by Benitez mostly as an impact player and has quickly earned a reputation as a 'super-sub' at Anfield, added: "I suppose it (scoring) is an even better feeling when you've only come into the game late on as a substitute. It was a fantastic moment for me and for the team.

"Before I came onto the pitch the manager was telling me to give the game some energy.

"He said that I have done the same every time I have come off the bench and said to try and do the same this time."

No comments: