Friday, August 15, 2008

Aurelio Fit For Opening Day

Fabio Aurelio hopes to give Rafael Benitez a selection headache by declaring himself available for Saturday's Barclays Premier League opener in Sunderland.

The Brazilian left-back has been on the sidelines for most of pre-season with a shin injury but he is now back in training and determined to be fit for the big kick-off.

"I'm back in training and feel 100 per cent so I'll be ready for the start of the season at Sunderland," Aurelio told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"It was really important for me to be involved in the pre-season training camp in Switzerland and I worked hard. Unfortunately another small problem kept me out when I got a kick on my shin which caused some inflammation, but I'm now looking forward to the start of the season.

"It will be the manager's decision whether I will be involved against Sunderland. I hope to do a good job and help the team make a good start to the season."

Aurelio believes it is imperative Liverpool get off to a winning start against a side many fancy to go from strength to strength in their second top flight season.

Roy Keane has brought in the likes of El-Hadji Diouf and Tottenham trio Pascal Chimbonda, Steed Malbranque and Teemu Tainio, and Aurelio knows he and his teammates face a tough time.

"Now is the time when the results have to come and we are ready for the start of the season," he said. "We know that Sunderland has improved their squad a lot during the summer and they are a strong team now.

"We have also improved by bringing in some quality players so we know that even the team isn't 100 per cent yet we hope to start well and get the three points. We have a strong squad and we want to fight for the title this year."

The summer has seen the arrival at Melwood of Italian left-back Andrea Dossena, while young pretender Emiliano Insua has impressed when given the first-team call.

Not that Aurelio is flustered at the prospect of fighting for his place.

"It's really good to have competition and I think the boss is really pleased about that," he added. "He has a very good opportunity to change the system and use different players, so everyone will be fighting for their place. I think that is very good for the team.

"In every position we have two or three players so I think it's very important during every training session that we all keep working hard and keep up our level."

No comments: