Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Yossi Eager To Prove His Worth

Yossi Benayoun believes he can improve upon an impressive first season with the Reds by becoming even more ruthless in front of goal during the 2008-09 campaign.

The Israel international is confident he has what it takes to prove his worth to boss Rafael Benitez and admits he is happy to play in any role for the team if it means he can help them go on to secures more silverware.

"I believe in myself and know what I can do," he told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"I think I had a good season last year, but I want to improve and score more goals. It's up to the manager - my job is to do what I can for the best of the team."

Benayoun, who appeared as a second-half substitute in the 0-0 draw with Hertha Berlin in the Olympiastadion last night, feels the stalemate with the German outfit was the Reds' most difficult pre-season clash so far and likened it more to a European night at Anfield than a friendly fixture.

"We've played against a good team who play good football and it's a good test for us," he said. "I'm sure we will improve and I'm sure we will be ready for the new season.

"It was similar to a European night because we saw a lot of supporters come out and we wanted to win. There weren't as many substitutions as you would expect because it was important to both teams. We had some good chances including the penalty but what can you say, it's only pre-season.

"I've felt good in the past few games. I didn't play too much against Hertha because I picked up a little bit of an injury in training but I still came on, and I think it did some good.

"Hopefully I will improve along with the rest of the team."

No comments: