Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Yossi Benayoun: I’m Staying At Liverpool FC


Yossi Benayoun says he is determined to stay at Liverpool – because manager Rafael Benitez “loves” him.

Manchester City and Tottenham are both keen to recruit the Israeli international midfielder, but Benayoun believes there is no chance of Liverpool cashing in on him.

He said: “Even before the season ended, we determined that I would be staying.

“Benitez told me unequivocally that he brought me here, that I had a very good season, that he’s depending on me and that there’s no way I’ll leave Liverpool.

“I have very good chemistry with Benitez. He loves me. He bought me. I really enjoy being with him – moreover, I had an excellent season. I even surprised myself.

“Benitez didn’t want to hear and isn’t prepared to hear about any possibility of letting me go at any price.”

Benayoun scored 11 goals in 48 appearances in his debut season with Liverpool, although he regularly had to settle for a place on the bench.

But he says the only circumstance in which he would leave the club would be if he was told he was no longer wanted.

He added: “Liverpool is good for me, and it was always clear I want to stay and Liverpool wants me. I got better offers financially, but these tempting offers don’t change my mind.

“If Liverpool wouldn’t want me, I’d leave there in seconds. Even if I had a contract, if I understood they didn’t want me, I’d get up right away and leave. But I’m not leaving Liverpool.”

Meanwhile, Benitez has challenged the club’s youngsters to show him during pre-season they are ready for a first-team call.

The Reds boss knows the likes of Krisztian Nemeth, Damien Plessis, Emiliano Insua and Daniel Pacheco have made great strides over the last 12 months – now he wants them to take another step forward.

Their task will be made easier over the coming weeks as Benitez uses the full contingent of his playing staff during pre-season trips to Switzerland, Spain, Norway and around the UK.

However, a slight complication arises from the fact Nemeth, Andras Simon, Mikel San Jose, Dean Bouzanis and Peter Gulacsi will all be appearing in the European under-19 Championships in the coming weeks.

The manager said: “Clearly some of the young players will be involved in some of our games during pre-season and this is an opportunity for them to show what they can do, although some of them are so good they will play some games with their national teams.

“But we have a lot of confidence in them so if they can be with the first-team players and work with the coaching staff I am sure it will be good for them.

“It is important that they develop their experience at this stage of their careers and afterwards we will see, but it is clear that they have a chance.”

Hungarian trialist Zsolt Poloskei will spend a season-long loan at Liverpool, the club has confirmed.

The midfielder was one of three MTK Hungaria teenagers to arrive at Melwood for pre-season trials.

Having impressed staff, the 17-year-old has already been handed a loan deal and will battle it out for a place in Gary Ablett’s reserves during 2008/09.

Poloskei’s settling in process will be helped by the presence of Peter Gulacsi, Krisztian Nemeth and Andras Simon, who all arrived from MTK a year ago.

No comments: