Sunday, July 27, 2008

Yeats: Skrtel's Got It All

Ron Yeats has hailed the impact of Martin Skrtel after the Slovakian overcame a difficult start to life at Anfield to enjoy a promising first season with the club.

The Reds legend - who Bill Shankly famously called his 'Colossus' - admits he had reservations about Skrtel following the defender's debut against Havant & Waterlooville in the FA Cup; but he is now a keen admirer of the 23-year-old and feels he can go on to have a big future on Merseyside.

"I go to all the home games and after watching his debut I wasn't very impressed," Yeats told LFC TV.

"When I say I wasn't impressed I mean, I thought he was a bag of nerves. But I thought he must have something about him.

"In the games that followed he showed that he was very good player. He's got a bit of pace and boy can he tackle and head the ball.

"That's what you want from a centre back. I think he's only 23 and with him Agger, Carragher and the boy Hobbs, we are well endowed with centre backs.

"And of course there's Sami Hyypia. He's my favourite player I must admit. I went twice to see him and then I recommended him because I thought he was something else.

"He doesn't have a lot of pace, he'll tell you that, but he can read the game. He's a super passer of the ball too."

Yeats feels Hyypia's experience and sheer professionalism will provide the likes of Skrtel with the perfect example to follow in terms of how to conduct themselves, both, on and off the pitch.

"Sami is a talker and a leader and I think you have to have that because football is made up of partnerships," he said.

"If you don't have that then you have no chance. Sami will talk players through where they need to be and where they shouldn't be and I think Skrtel, and the others I have mentioned, will benefit from that."

No comments: