Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Winner Torres Thanks Liverpool Fans


The man who scored Spain's winner in Sunday's Euro 2008 final has acknowledged a debt of gratitude he feels to his English club and their fans.

Fernando Torres, the Liverpool and Spain striker, has been effusive in his praise of the Anfield club's fans for the part they played in his success with his country thi9s summer.

Torres was the scorer of the only goal on Sunday against Germany as Spain won their first major honour since 1964.

And the 24-year-old ex-Atletico Madrid striker says Liverpool have given him self-belief and helped him hone his technique.

"I have had a wonderful first season at Anfield and the 33 goals I scored for Liverpool gave me the confidence and belief I needed for the European finals," he was quoted as saying in the Daily Telegraph.

"I would like to thank the manager Rafa Benitez and his staff because I have improved as a player thanks to them.

"But it is not just the people at the club who have helped me, it is also the supporters and the people of the city.

"From the moment I first came to Liverpool I have been made to feel welcome and that is why I am able to enjoy my football so much.

"It is incredible. The Liverpool fans have given me so much support and I know that they have even been supporting Spain and this is something I will never forget and I thank everyone for that.

"Now I am looking forward to competing for trophies with Liverpool because I know that means so much to the club and the fans."

No comments: