Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Reina Rules Out Spain Return


Liverpool goalkeeper Jose ‘Pepe’ Reina has dismissed the possibility of returning to his native country, insisting he is completely satisfied on Merseyside.

Reina arrived at Anfield in 2005 and has since established himself among Europe’s elite ‘keepers, snaring three consecutive Golden Glove awards for most clean sheets in a Premier League season.

However, the 25-year-old has had to settle for a spot on the bench when it comes to international duty, as Real Madrid’s Iker Casillas – who was outstanding in Spain’s EURO 2008 triumph – effectively owns la Furia Roja’s No. 1 jersey.

Some have speculated that the former Barcelona shot-stopper could return to La Liga in the hope of increasing his chances of supplanting Casillas, as it is a widely held belief that la Seleccion’s coaches prefer home-based players.

But Reina – one of four Spanish scousers in Austria and Switzerland last month – insisted he will not be leaving Liverpool any time soon, and is focused solely on helping the Reds claim silverware this season.

"I won't consider returning to Spain," said Reina. "I like Liverpool and it doesn't even enter my head to return already to Spanish football - and that goes for my family as well.

"I want to celebrate winning a big trophy with Liverpool this season and if we do I promise my team-mates I will cook them some excellent seafood in return!"

No comments: