Thursday, July 31, 2008

Rafa Won't Comment On Barry Rejection

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has so far refused to make any public comment on their now confirmed failure to prise Gareth Barry away from Aston Villa.

The Reds had been chasing the Villa the skipper all summer, but in the end allegedly had a last-ditch attempt to sign the England midfielder thwarted by Villa, who yesterday formally announced that their skipper will not be going anywhere this summer.

"I would prefer to concentrate on the game and my squad," said Benitez when pressed on the Barry saga after the 0-0 friendly draw at Villarreal on Wednesday night.

"I was really pleased with the situation on the pitch tonight," he added.

"Robbie Keane did well, he had every chance to score but could not manage a goal."

After another reporter again brought up the Barry matter, Benitez refused to be drawn out.

"I think we have quality in the squad and I would prefer to concentrate on the game," he said.

"I feel the quality is improving, it is better than last season, and this match has been of benefit to the squad and for me to see several young players in action."

No comments: