Saturday, July 12, 2008

Peter Crouch Completes Portsmouth Move

Striker Peter Crouch has finally completed his move from Liverpool to Portsmouth, signing a four-year contract with the FA Cup holders.

The deal, which could be worth up to £11 million, sees the 27-year-old return to Portsmouth six years after leaving the south coast club.

Crouch jumped at the chance of regular first-team football having struggled to establish himself in Liverpool's starting side.

Crouch, who will work with Harry Redknapp for the third time in his career, said: "It's fantastic to be back. I believe Harry gets the best out of me and think the best years of my career can be here. This club is going places and they can match my ambitions.

"The chance of regular first team football was part of the appeal. I know I'll have to work hard to prove myself in training, but I believe my best years are in front of me."

Crouch is convinced Portsmouth can break into the top four in the next four years.

"This is an ambitious club," he said. "It's getting a new stadium and it's going places. The squad and the team is in place to challenge.

"This year, coming on the back of winning the FA Cup, we might be able to improve our league form. There's a nucleus of clubs just behind the big four where we are at the moment and I think we can get to the top of that queue.

"I've signed for four years and hopefully beyond that. I certainly believe within that time frame we can get into that top four."

Portsmouth manager Redknapp, whose team will this season compete in the Uefa Cup for the very first time, said: "Bringing a player like Peter here shows how far we have come and how far we can go. I'm delighted he's back.

"I never expected to see him back here. He went off to Liverpool and did a fantastic job in my opinion and I'm looking forward to seeing him and Jermain Defoe up front - a big one and a little one - and we've got other good forwards here."

Crouch, who scored 40 goals in 135 appearances for Liverpool, began his professional career as a trainee at Tottenham before spells at QPR, Portsmouth, Aston Villa, Norwich and Southampton before joining Liverpool.

No comments: