Monday, July 21, 2008

Pennant’s Convinced He’ll Stay At Liverpool

Jermaine Pennant is convinced he will begin the season as a Liverpool player.

The winger’s future has been the subject of much speculation during the transfer window as Rafael Benitez attempts to reshape his squad.

It is thought the Anfield manager would be willing to listen to offers for Pennant to raise funds for squad strengthening.

Blackburn Rovers are one of several clubs to have been linked with the 25-year-old who cost £6.7m from Birmingham City two years ago.

But Pennant says he has not been told he is up for sale, while revealing his determination to secure silverware with Liverpool.

“The boss hasn’t come to me and said any other club is interested,” he said. “There’s always going to be speculation about someone who isn’t playing as much, but I’m not going anywhere.

“I still have a contract, I’m not asking to leave, I haven’t told the boss that I want to leave and he hasn’t told me that he wants to get rid of me.

“Liverpool isn’t a club you leave easily, if you stay here you are more than likely to win things.”

After playing a key role in the team that reached the European Cup final in his first campaign, Pennant missed almost two months of last season after suffering a stress fracture and made only seven starts after his return to fitness in January.

And the winger accepts that the coming campaign could prove pivotal to his Liverpool career.

“With Rafa using the rotation, then no player is guaranteed a place in the team,” said Pennant, who played the second half of Liverpool’s 1-1 friendly draw against Wisla Krakow in Fribourg, Switzerland on Saturday.

“Every position is up for grabs and you have to take your chance when you get it.

“The second half of last season was a disappointment for me. My injury played a massive part, having three months out on the sidelines. By the time I came back, the team were playing well and it was difficult to get back in.

“I think this could be the most important season of my career. Every season is important to me, although I don’t know about this being a make-or-break one for me.”

Pennant will be hopeful of providing the ammunition for Robbie Keane, who is expected to complete his transfer from Tottenham Hotspur this week.

And the winger has warned Premiership sides to beware a potentially devastating strike partnership between the Republic of Ireland international and Fernando Torres.

“Robbie is a great player, he’s sharp around the box and is a great finisher,” added Pennant.

“If he does sign and is up front with Fernando Torres, it could be as good as anything in the Premiership.

“Robbie has done well in the past four or five years with Tottenham, and Torres was remarkable last season. If they both carry on in that form, it would be a great partnership.”

Meanwhile, Liverpool are closing in on the signature of 19-year-old Paris Saint Germain striker David N'Gog.

N'Gog was told last week he could leave PSG after refusing to sign a new contract with his current deal due to expire in less than 12 months.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm doubt Pennant will stay if Rafa receive an offer closed to his valuation. David Ngog set to become Reds fourth signing, Voronin may heads to Germany.

YNWA...