Friday, July 18, 2008

Leiva Looking For Goals


Liverpool youngster Lucas Leiva has set his sights on the opposition goal as he looks to improve his goal tally during the coming season.

The 21-year old Brazilian, who made his senior international debut last summer, found the net just once last campaign, against Havant and Waterlooville in the FA Cup.

The player, who has been included in Brazil’s Olympic squad, opened his account for The Reds on Wednesday, albeit in a friendly against Lucerne.

And after a solid debut season at Anfield, the £6.5 million signing from Gremio is looking to take advantage of manager Rafa Benitez’s instruction to push forward as he looks to replicate the goal-scoring prowess he demonstrated in his homeland.

"It's always nice to score a goal, and it was a good goal and a good win for the team, so I'm happy about that," the midfielder said.

"We know we have to work hard in pre-season because we have a long season ahead and we are trying to put the things we are doing in training into practice in the matches.

"The manager has given me more freedom to go forward and that suits because that is my style.

"I think my form and fitness are improving every day even though it has been tiring because pre-season has been hard but I am happy with my goal.

"I am confident that I can score more goals. Last season I got only one but in Brazil I scored quite a few so I have the belief that I can score more for Liverpool."

The player’s midweek goal was set-up by a defence-splitting pass from fellow prodigy Dani Pacheco, the 17-year old Spaniard, and Leiva feels that the pair can play a key role as Liverpool look to mount a serious title bid.

"It was good for us to win because it helps with our confidence but it wasn't vital at this stage,” he added.

"It is more important for us to get our form and our fitness and that is what we are working really hard to do.

"But Andriy's goal gave us the win and it was a very good goal. He did really well to score because he spotted the keeper off his line and chipped him - he will be pleased with that.

"Also, it was a great pass from Pacheco for my goal. He is a very intelligent player and he is getting better and better all the time.

"He is only 17 but I think he has a good future because he is already showing his qualities for Liverpool."

No comments: