Sunday, July 20, 2008

Babel Hopes Against Rafa Olympic Fury


Ryan Babel hopes that heading off to the Olympics with the Netherlands won't negatively impact his Liverpool future.

Dutch winger Ryan Babel has confirmed that he's heading for Beijing and claims he doesn't have a choice in the matter.

Rafa Benitez is delighted to have Babel back after injury but is reportedly livid with Dutch Olympics coach Foppe de Haan for putting the 21-year-old at risk and keeping him out of Liverpool action.

Babel's commitments include an U-23 friendly against Belgium, the ING Cup in Hong Kong and the Olympics tournament itself, where the Dutch are tipped to be contenders.

Babel, who missed Euro 2008 due to ankle ligament problems, understands his duty to The Netherlands, even if Benitez doesn't. He told the club's official website: "I'm going to the Olympics. I know the manager would want me to stay but I don't think he will hold it against me.

"It's a normal reaction from the manager to want me to stay. Every manager wants to keep his players to play at the club.

"But it's not my choice and it isn't the manager's. I’m under-age; the federation needs me; I've been called up so I have to go. It wasn't a choice for me.

"I don't think it's going to affect my career at Liverpool. The boss here knows I didn't have any choice."

Thus, the fleet-footed wide-man is set to miss the first two games of the Premiership season and two legs of Champions League qualifying.

Babel made a long-awaited comeback against Lucerne in midweek - helping the team to a 2-1 win - and admits he's keen to get back on track.

"I feel okay. My game's not perfect yet, but the boss wanted to test me. I thought I did okay and felt confident enough. It's good to be back," he added.

"I've got over the disappointment of missing out on the European Championships. Every player wants to play in it, and when you miss out only two days before you're due to travel to the finals, it's extra disappointing.

"But I'm even more motivated than before, and all I want to do now is look forward."

No comments: