Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Villa Rubbishes Reds Rumours

Valencia striker David Villa has rubbished speculation that he has set his sights on a move to Liverpool or Chelsea next season.

Villa has impressed at Euro 2008 and is the tournament's current top scorer after firing four goals in the group stages.

That form has reportedly put the 26-year-old on the radar of Liverpool, who are on the look out for a strike partner for Villa's Spain team-mate Fernando Torres, and Chelsea as the Blues consider options for the possible replacement for Didier Drogba.

Villa was recently quoted as saying he held an 'attraction' for both Liverpool and Chelsea, however the former Real Zaragoza star insists he is happy at the Mestalla and that Valencia have not told him he is for sale.

"I have heard that I am supposed to have said that I would prefer to go to Liverpool to play next season or that I want Chelsea to be my next team," Villa told guillembalague.com.

"I have not said anything like that. My club insists I am not for sale and, believe me, I am totally focused on the European Championship.

"As far as I know, nobody from Liverpool has been in touch, but in any case my future is not something I have in my mind at the moment. I do not understand why people put words in my mouth.

"I always say the same thing, nobody from Valencia has told me that I am for sale. In any case, I am not at all worried about that at the moment.

"My priority, for now, is to play well in Euro 2008."

Villa also insists that he would not be tempted by the likely increase in salary that a move away from Valencia could bring.

"Money means nothing," Villa added. "Of course, everybody works to earn money, but if you are not happy, material things mean nothing. My only target in life is to get better at my job."

No comments: