Saturday, June 21, 2008

Thompson Hails Lee's Reds Move


Liverpool legend Phil Thompson believes bringing Sammy Lee back into the coaching set-up at Anfield could prove the club's best summer signing.

After playing in the same Liverpool teams as Thompson from the late 70s into the 80s, Lee later replaced his former captain as reserve team boss in 1993.

When Thompson returned to the club alongside Gerard Houllier five years later, Lee moved up to become first team coach before leaving Anfield following the arrival of Rafa Benitez in 2004.

"I don't care who comes in on the playing side, I'm not so sure anyone will better Sammy coming back to Liverpool," Thompson told LFC Magazine. "There's so much to be gained by him coming back. For me, he could be the best signing of the summer.

"I am delighted Sammy is back. In fact I never wanted him to leave in the first place. When I departed my position as assistant manager I expressed my belief that Sammy should have taken the role alongside Rafa.

"But Rafa wanted to bring in his own people, which I fully understand. I just thought it would have been a step in the right direction to appoint Sammy. It didn't happen and he moved on."

No comments: