Monday, June 16, 2008

Reds On Alert After Bentley Decision

Blackburn Rovers winger David Bentley has admitted that he will be leaving the club this summer in a move that will be of interest to Rafa Benitez, a self-confessed admirer of the Londoner.

The 23 year old has been at Blackburn for three seasons, and insists his decision to leave is based on career progression and not the fact that manager Mark Hughes has recently left.

Some sources have suggested that the player would prefer to return to the capital, with Tottenham Hotspur rumored to be interested, but they can’t offer the £12 million rated winger Champions League football like Liverpool can.

The player himself said:

“I made it clear to the club what I wanted to do.

“My situation is I want to move on, I want to be playing Champions League football, I want to be playing in Europe.

“I have been there for three years, I love the club and I love playing for them, but I feel like I’ve done everything I can and I want to move on and try and push up the ladder and be as successful as I can

“And I believe that lies elsewhere. I want a new challenge and I feel I want to push on somewhere else.

“I hope I have repaid them with the way I have played but I need to be moving on somewhere else.

“We’ll see what the summer brings and hopefully in this transfer window something can be sorted out.”

“I discussed things with the manager then (Hughes) and the chairman.

“Their situation has changed but mine hasn’t. I need to be pushing on and that’s what I’ll be looking to do.

“I’ve got ambitions to play for England and I want to be playing in the biggest games I can, and I believe that lies playing somewhere else.

“My decision is not money, it is purely based on football. I just want to be playing at the highest level.

“There are clubs interested but it lies in Blackburn’s hands. Managers that come in want to keep their best players but my decision has been made and nobody could persuade me to change my mind.

No comments: