Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Benitez 100% Committed To Liverpool

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has moved to alleviate concerns that he may still be unsettled at Anfield.

The Spanish tactician endured an incredibly tough season both on and off the pitch. The Reds ended trophyless again, but far more pertinent in respect to Rafa's job was the drama off the pitch with co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

Disputes began to lessen and the situation seemed placated towards the end of the season, but as the transfer window re-opens and the finances of the club once again come under scrutiny, many feel the former Valencia coach may leave if he does not get the backing he feels he deserves.

However, he told the Liverpool Echo he is fully focussed on the job at hand and nothing more: "I said at the end of the season I was very happy here and I will say it again.

"The supporters have been absolutely magnificent with me and the staff are working very hard.

"I would not have brought players like Fernando Torres and the young players we have here if I did not have a long term vision for the club. Now is not the time to be saying goodbye.

"Fernando's agent has asked about my Liverpool future and my answer is that I am 100% committed.

"If we had a lot of money to spend it would obviously be better," he said.

"But if we don't it doesn't matter.

"It is not about buying the most expensive players, it is about buying the right ones.

"We have the spine of the team and we can sell some players to get the others we need."

No comments: