Monday, June 30, 2008

Anfield Is The Only Place For Me, Insists Gareth Barry

GARETH BARRY insists that his future lies at Anfield because Liverpool want him more than Aston Villa and claims that Martin O’Neill’s lack of support is driving him closer to a move.

Villa are stubbornly trying to get as large a fee as possible for their unsettled captain and have already rejected three bids from Liverpool so far this summer.

Manager O’Neill is furious with the way Liverpool have conducted their pursuit of the player in the public arena and has cut off all contact with the Anfield outfit, leaving negotiations in the hands of chairman Randy Lerner’s assistant, Paul Faulkner.

But it is a lack of dialogue between O’Neill and himself that has apparently upset Barry.

O’Neill has been appearing as a regular pundit on BBC television’s coverage of the European Championship finals in Austria and Switzerland over the past three weeks and despite the Ulsterman insisting that he wants Barry to stay, the player insists he has not heard from his manager during this period.

He said: “My mind’s made up, I want to join Liverpool.

“There’s no going back, it’s time for me to move on. I’m desperate to play Champions League football and that’s why I have to leave Villa. Villa kept saying they wanted me to stay, but I have not heard from the manager for weeks.

“It’s seven weeks now since the season finished, but while the gaffer’s found time to be a pundit for the BBC at Euro 2008, he hasn’t found the time to speak to me.”

In contrast, Barry claims that Liverpool’s high-profile chase for his signature shows just how wanted he is at Anfield.

He said: “Rafa Benitez has shown how much he wants me at Anfield. I am obviously flattered that someone as successful as Rafa Benitez thinks so highly of me.

“And that he’s not been afraid to put his valuation of me in black and white for Villa and all the world to see.

“But have Villa offered me anything to try to persuade me my future is at Villa Park, not Anfield? Not a thing.”

Barry is eager to push a move through this week to spare him having to return to pre-season training with O’Neill’s side but after more than a decade of service to the Midlands club, he hopes the Villa supporters can understand the reasons behind his desire for a transfer as he looks to test himself in Champions League football.

He said: “I hope the Villa fans understand. I have given my all for the club for 10 years and I’m only leaving because now I need to test myself at the very highest level.

“And I can honestly say if Villa were in the Champions League I wouldn’t even consider leaving this great club.”

No comments: