Friday, May 16, 2008

Xabi Welcomes Competition From Barry

After recently confirming he's staying at Anfield, Liverpool's Xabi Alonso has gone one better, insisting he would welcome the competition from transfer target and his mooted replacement, Aston Villa's Gareth Barry.

Alonso, 26, has not enjoyed his best season with the Reds. Injuries have played their part in ruling him out during the season and he has failed to hit top form, with new signing Lucas Leiva beating him to a first team place at one point in the season.

He has been strongly linked with a move away from Anfield this summer - most speculating it would be abroad, back to Spain - but he has insisted he is staying at Anfield.

Speaking to the club's official website, he revealed he feels very at home and could remain at the club for "many years" yet.

Strong speculation linking with the club with Gareth Barry - another central midfielder - does not perturb the Spanish international either; he insists he would welcome even more competition. Though he, like his manager, stressed that Barry can play different positions, which suggests that the 27-year-old, who has gotten so used to being given the freedom of the park at Aston Villa, may well be tied down to a more specific role under Rafael Benitez - whether he sees this as a 'demotion' of sorts remains to be seen.

"I think I will be here next season even if Barry comes," revealed Xabi.

"He would bring good competition and he would be more than welcome. He can play different positions and if he plays in midfield then I could play with him. I have no problem with that.

"At the moment I feel I could stay here for many years. I have been here for four seasons already; why not seven or eight?

"As long as I am performing well and the club wants me to stay then I will."

Alonso also moved to clarify that there are no problems between he and Benitez, with rumours persisting that a rift between the compatriots was partially responsible for Xabi's impending departure.

"There is no problem between me and the manager and I would like to clarify that," added Xabi.

"I have read that we have had an argument but our relationship is the same as it has been since I joined Liverpool.

"I spoke to the manager only the other day. He has never said that he wants me to leave."

No comments: