Thursday, May 01, 2008

Torres Eyes Liverpool For Life


Fernando Torres hopes to end his career at Liverpool, but feels it is too early to compare him to legends from Anfield's past.

Torres has made a dazzling start to life in England after already netting 30 goals in his debut campaign following a record-breaking switch from Atletico Madrid last summer.

And ahead of Liverpool's UEFA Champions League semi-final second leg at Chelsea, a match which can be seen live on Sky Sports 2, the 24-year-old Spaniard has admitted he would not be against the possibility of seeing out his playing days on Merseyside.

"I hope so," Torres - who will be charged with the vital task of ending Liverpool's eight-game goal drought at Stamford Bridge - told LFC TV when asked if he would like to remain a Liverpool player for the rest of his career.

"I feel very confident here. If we can win trophies, then much better. This is my team, my city and Anfield is my pitch. I feel very good."

Torres' stunning form has seen him compared to previous Reds striking greats Ian Rush and Robbie Fowler.

And his productive partnership with Steven Gerrard has also created flashbacks to Rush's pairing with Kenny Dalglish, but the Spaniard is keen to play down the similarities.

"I'm very proud. But now is not the moment," Torres added.

"Kenny, Robbie and Stevie (Gerrard) have a lot of trophies, a lot of titles and they have played hundreds of games for the club. They have been legends for lots of years.

"This is only my first season at Liverpool and I want to play better for many more seasons yet. So far I've had one good season but Kenny and Robbie have had six, seven, eight or 10 good seasons at Liverpool. It's different.

"When I have finished my career then maybe that will be the moment to talk about these things but not now. It's too early.

"It's important to me that the fans think highly of me and if they're saying these things then I would say 'thank you, but not yet'.

"I think they love me and I love them. It's great when kids and their granddads come up to me in the street and say 'you're the best'.

"I was with Kenny Dalglish the other day and you could see in the faces of the people how much of a hero he is, 20 years after he finished his career. I want everyone to remember me in 20 years' time."

No comments: